Sunday, February 14, 2016

Baltic Birch Plywood Tea Box

The lid of mom's plastic tea box broke off ages ago. Since, it's been fixed and refixed but it's reached a point when it says "no more!" So thought I'd build mom a little larger custom-made tea box that would match the decor in her kitchen and would also be something from my heart. And kudos for my slow work, but got it done in time for Valentine's Day. Perfect!

Materials used were basically Baltic birch plywood cut on my scroll saw (since I don't have a table saw) and wood glue. I kind of made my pattern as I went. And when I was gluing the front pieces on, covered the bas-relief pieces with paper so I wouldn't get glue on them while doing paste-up, and yet, when I took off the papers, well, there were glue stains all over them. Ah well. Chalk it up to a learning experience. This was the first box I ever made so am still pretty happy with it, and mom was ecstatic! We especially love the woodsie shapes used to make flower petals on the top. Transforms a plain box into a box with a simple but free-out-in-nature flair.

At least a third larger than her previous plastic tea box (which BTW was so crammed that that was probably why the lid broke and then kept breaking after repairs. 


the lid accented with woodsie shapes 
Mom is in love with her new "fancy" and certainly one-of-a-kind tea box!

No comments:

Post a Comment